The original nucleus of the building can be traced back to the XV century, when it was the Parenti family’s “palace”. The small frescoed tabernacle depicting the crucifixion, located in the main hall, and the grand fireplace bearing the stem of the Bellacci family belong to the same period. The villa was later owned by various families: the Mazzei, the Pratesi and, from 1760, the Perini. The Neo-Gothic style architectural features – including the tower that gives the villa its name – were added in the years between the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries.
At the end of the nineteenth century, the celebrated painter and engraver Arnold Böcklin used the villa as his residence in Fiesole, before acquiring, in 1895, Villa Bellagio. Located only a few hundred metres from Villa La Torrossa, Villa Bellagio became his definitive residence and is known today as Villa Böcklin.
During the mid 1930s, the villa became the residence of the Chilean scupltor Rebeca Matte Inhiguez, who used the large building behind the villa as her workshop. Various works by Matte, in particular copies of famous classical sculptures, can still be seen in the grounds: a copy of the “Nike of Samothrace”, the famous Greek sculpture now displayed at the Louvre, dominates the garden from above.